It’s a good idea to have an extra saw horse around. They come in handy for all sorts of projects, from carpentry work to home repairs. But if you don’t have any, or if you need more than the ones you have, it’s easy enough to make your own. All you need is a few pieces of wood and some screws. Here’s how.
- Cut two pieces of 2×4 lumber to the same length. These will be the legs of your saw horse.
- Place the legs parallel to each other, about 3 feet apart.
- Drill a hole through each leg, about 2 inches from the top.
- Insert a screw into each hole and tighten until the legs are securely attached.
- Cut the third piece of 2×4 lumber to length and place it across the top of the two legs. This will be the crosspiece or beam of your saw horse.
- Drill holes through the beam and into the legs, about 6 inches apart. Again, insert screws and tighten until everythingis secure.
- That’s it! Your saw horse is now ready to use. Place a board or piece of lumber across the beam and start sawing away.
Just remember to always use caution when working with tools and lumber. And be sure to have someone help you if the project is too big or heavy for you to handle alone. Safety first!
What Type of Wood is Best for a Saw Horse?
There is no definitive answer to this question as different types of wood have different properties that make them more or less suitable for use as saw horses. Some woods are more durable than others, while some are more resistant to splitting or warping. Ultimately, the best type of wood to use for a saw horse is the one that best suits your particular needs and preferences.
One popular option for a saw horse is a 2×4 made out of pine. Pine is a relatively soft wood, which makes it easy to work with. It is also fairly inexpensive, making it a good choice for those on a budget. However, pine is not particularly strong or durable, so it may not be the best choice for heavy-duty use.
Another option is a 2×4 made out of oak. Oak is a harder wood than pine, so it is more durable. It is also less likely to warp or split. However, oak is more expensive than pine, so it may not be the best choice for those on a tight budget.
Ultimately, the best type of wood to use for a saw horse is the one that best suits your particular needs and preferences. If you will be using your saw horse for light-duty tasks, then a softwood like pine may be a good choice. If you need a more durable saw horse for heavy-duty use, then a hardwood like oak may be a better option.
Making a saw horse is a great weekend project that can be completed in just a few hours. The finished product will be sturdy and reliable, perfect for holding up lumber or other materials while you work. Follow the steps we’ve outlined to make your saw horse today!